Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A miracle in our days

Two unfortunate events.
Before introducing the main topic of this blog post (A miracle in our days) I’d like to write about two unfortunate events that have occurred the last couple of weeks at home.
First and as you can see from the pictures below, we had to go back to the doctors given that Batya fell in our backyard and broke her elbow. She is doing fine and adjusting to her cast that she will have for 3 weeks according to the orthopedist. She is also learning to use her left hand to eat, write, etc. She has been very positive which has helped her a lot.
From Other

From Other


Speaking about being positive, I believe I’m in that camp too. The first day after returning from the Pesach holiday (Passover), I learned that my services will no longer be needed at the company I was working at. Things were not working well on both sides and I know it’s going to be for the best (at least for me), so here I am again on the job search business. I actually enjoy doing job hunting a lot, the part that is not too enjoyable is knowing you don’t have a job. I will not be going into details and think I should probably do an anonymous blog and write about my experience there (or not). I will keep you in the loop… there are a couple of things already cooking but nothing concrete yet.

Sorry for not writing since after Pesach but job search has monopolized the time I have in front of my computer.

Talking about unfortunate events, I wanted to say hi to all family and friends in Mexico City and hope you can go on with life as usual soon.

A miracle in our days
Chag Haatzmaut Sameach to all (Happy Independence day)!
Many feelings going through my heart as we commemorate Yom Hashoa (Holocaust Remembrance Day), Yom Hazikaron (Fallen Soldiers and Victims of Terrorism Remembrance Day) and culminating with Yom Haatzmaut (Independence day).
I want to share with you some of the things I experienced commemorating these days here in Israel as an Israeli citizen. Yom Hashoa as well as Yom Hazikaron gets the entire nation to a standstill for 2 minutes as sirens sound across the country for 2 minutes. During these days most TV stations shut down their broadcasts or have a special programming dedicated to the remembrance and radio stations have special programming. Entertainment venues are by law closed.
As we remember the 6 million Jews that were killed during the holocaust for the sole reason of being Jewish not too long ago, we see today that we have a country that will open its doors to any Jew for the sole reason of being Jewish. While we did not have a strong and organized defense force back then we commemorated yesterday the fallen soldiers of one of the strongest defense forces in the world with a purpose that goes well beyond safeguarding the state of Israel, they are also safeguarding the existence of our people. During the 61 years of short existence of the modern state of Israel, the country has been able to sustain 7 wars and look at us today, we are stronger than ever. That’s what I call a miracle! A miracle is being able to say one day “I want to go and live in Israel” and do it with no real barriers being on the way. Yes there are many difficulties and issues to deal with but not what I would call real barriers like the ones we had more than 61 years ago.
Yom Haatzamaut was a beautiful experience, for some of us it combines our civic and nationalistic feelings with our religious believes, it’s sharing together with our people in our land what we have been able to accomplish. Israeli flags everywhere, people celebrating, fireworks, music, dance, Manguels (BBQ),… This is what it’s all about…
Below are some pictures of our Yom Haatzmaut celebration including the kids, flags everywhere, our visit to the Latrun Tank museum.



It was very nice being able to host my grandmother at home last weekend, below are some pictures of her visit.



Now we are excited to host this weekend my niece who’s here for the March of the Living program.

3 comments:

AdinaLex said...

Happy Yom Ha'atzmaut!
We wish you only happy things and health and success from now on. (You've had a hard enough year, you deserve a break!)

All our love,
Adina, Eric, Yair and Avi

Anonymous said...

Como siempre disfrutamos mucho tus articulos Isra, en este nos sacaste la lagrimas.
Paciencia las cosas se van a ir acomodando para bien. Un beso y un fuerte abrazo para todos
Los Fele

Anonymous said...

Hey sorry to hear about your job. It's probably not much of a consolation, but Matt has had 6 jobs here so far in 4 years. It really does get better and easier, and you'll probably look back on the first few years and be really proud of how hard you've worked to be here. Best of luck and good wishes with your job search, and hope to see you guys soon!

-the Schusters (Elaine, Matt, and Gavriel)

Related Posts with Thumbnails