Friday, November 20, 2009

From Rompope to Eggnog to Sachlav

As I was sitting down with Liora last night relaxed and drinking a warm Sachlav it occurred to us that we have passed through several drinks similar to this depending on the country we are living. We asked to ourselves, how many people in the world you think know and have tried these three drinks? Very few…

They might all look the same, but they each have their distinguished taste to me.

La industria casera del rompope

Rompope: Mexican drink made with eggs, milk and vanilla, with Rum.Rompope to me has the taste of home, family, old friends, my roots, my founding base, my family values.

How to Make Eggnog

Eggnog: sweetened dairy-based beverage made with milk, cream, sugar, beaten eggs, and flavored with ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Popular throughout the US, Canada and Luxembourg (go figure). Eggnog to me has the taste of a honeymoon, new beginnings, community building, strong friendships, new family, educational and professional achievements, transition.

Sachlav by nate_uri.

Sachlav: A sweet creamy milk, cinnamon, and rose water drink thickened with cornstarch. Warm. I would think it’s middle-eastern and not only Israeli. (ok, lets assume it’s Israeli). Sachlav to me has the taste of my land, my people, our mission, challenge, my children’s future, my spiritual growth. I’ll have the Sachlav thanks.

Now how many of you actually know and have tried the three of them? You should!

Shabbat Shalom.

7 comments:

ארנסטו said...

I'm coming short with the rompope, maybe you should make one for me next time we meet...

Gila Rose said...

forget the iced coffee. i'll take a sachlav, please.

mother in israel said...

Isn't a sachlav also an iris?

Israel W. said...

Thanks Mother in Israel, sachlav is also an orchid.
Gila, I can exchange the iced cofee for a sachlav at no extra charge.
Dani, I'm sorry but we are out of rompope, you can still stop by and we can improvise something.

Stefanie said...

Hey Israel - I love that you made Haveil Havalim! More times to see your face!!! Kisses to Liora and the kiddies.

Stef, Jase, Gabe and Alex!

Commenter Abbi said...

Sachlav the drink is actually called thusly because it was originally thickened with powder made from a bulb in the iris family, not cornstarch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchis_mascula

Anonymous said...

Israel and Liora
We remember drinking Rompope with you in your tiny apartment on Phillips street! I love the associations you've made with the different drinks. May your sachlav always be sweet and rich :)

Ilana and Dan

Related Posts with Thumbnails